Megan's Background



Monday, January 4, 2016

¡Feliz Año Nuevo!

Hello All,

Can you believe it’s a new year?!? So crazy! We have had a great week here in Siglo XX. On Monday we had a Family Home Evening with President and Sister Hansen in the Mission Home with some of our investigators. It went really well. It was so strange to be back in Villa Moscu after being in Potosi for so long. After the Family Home Evening we went and took pictures outside of the temple because it was still decorated for Christmas. It is wonderful to be back near the temple.

On New Year’s Eve we got home after working and Elder Balderrama, the member of the 70 we live with, invited us over to hang out with their family and participate in their family traditions. It was so sweet! Together in their kitchen we made cheese pastries and Elder Balderrama shared with us a little about his childhood. He grew up in Arani, a little village outside of Cochabamba. He speaks Quechua, so he was helping me with my testimony because while I learned it with Hermana Males, Ecuador Quechua can sometimes be a little different than what is spoken here in Bolivia. We talked about the states because he has travelled to Salt Lake a ton and he showed us video from when they went to a Jazz game last year. Then we went outside with their two oldest daughters Dana (14) and Kimberly (12) and did sparklers. They were super cheap so we bought a lot. It was so fun. Sister Balderrama made dinner for us, she was so nice because the tradition in Bolivia is to eat pig on New Year’s Eve, but as missionaries we’re not allowed to eat pig so she cooked us chicken. Before we ate we gathered together on our knees and Elder Balderrama prayed. When we finished the prayer it was a new year and everyone in all of Cochabamba started letting off fireworks, it isn’t illegal. Elder Balderrama let us go up on the balcony to see them all. It was incredible; I’ve never seen anything like it. We live on the edge of Cochabamba so we could see the whole city including the Christ statue. I will never forget it. I am so grateful for the wonderful family we live with here, for taking us in and allowing us to celebrate with them.

I am so excited for this New Year. I have a feeling it is going to be full of so many great experiences, difficult ones (like finishing my mission and coming home) and life changing ones (like starting back with my life), but my mission has changed my life forever and I will forever remember what it is doing for me. I can’t wait to apply all that I have learned here...because oh it is so much! I love Bolivia with all my heart and I am so grateful the Lord has sent me here. The weeks are going by so fast, so I am determined to enjoy every minute of it. President just changed the dinner rule, we will no longer be having pensionistas for dinner so now we will work until 9:00, one more hour to enjoy working as a representative of Jesus Christ. I love you all so much! Have a wonderful week!


Love, Hermana Lomax
Cochabamba Temple






At the cancha with Hermana King :)

No comments:

Post a Comment