Megan's Background



Monday, December 7, 2015

The Spirit Was Strong As They Entered the Waters of Baptism!

Hello,

What a week it has been. I am so excited to write you about it, I’ll try my best to include everything. 

On Wednesday we didn’t have many set appointments so we went contacting. We ended up in a part of our area that I haven’t spent a lot of time because it’s in the mountains and almost everyone speaks Quechua. Well, I obviously don’t speak Quechua, but I have a wonderful companion who does and has been teaching me. I’m so blessed! We saw a dirt house up on the side of the mountain and we both looked at each other with curiosity and began the hike up. As we came to the house there was a little OLD Cholita lady outside. And let me tell you, she is a true Bolivian Cholita., who like I mentioned speaks no Spanish. Normally those who live in the fields don’t like to speak to people like us, but once Hermana Males began to speak to her in Quechua she came up to us and grabbed our hands. Tears began to stream down her face. It became obvious that she doesn’t receive many visitors. Her 14-year-old granddaughter also lives with her and speaks a little Spanish so I talked to her for a while. I was really hoping to take pictures, so I finally asked and she agreed. What a sweet lady, I will always remember this precious moment we had with her. We are hoping to go back and visit her some more this week and to help feed their chickens and pigs.

On Saturday Alejandra and Daina got baptized! It was such a special moment that we have been looking forward to. The spirit was so strong as they both entered the waters of baptism. After their baptisms they were given the opportunity to bare their testimonies. Daina began to cry as she shared her feelings of her baptism and Alejandra shared a strong testimony of the power of the Spirit. Her testimony was powerful and full of truth. As she shared her testimony I was reminded of how often the spirit bore witness to her during our time together. She is a true miracle. Daina’s mom who we first began teaching and is how we met Daina came to support her daughter as well. Tears ran down her face as she listened to her daughter bare testimony. She told us that she would be next, which is a miracle because when we first started teaching her she was not at all interested. She will be getting baptized in January. :) Yesterday, both Alejandra and Daina received the Holy Ghost. It’s difficult to believe that I only met these sweet sisters 5 weeks ago. There are no words to describe the love I have for both of them and the feelings I have as I witness them change their lives and become followers of our Savior, Jesus Christ. There is nothing like it! Tears are streaming down my cheeks as I write. It’s incredible!

On Sunday night Hermana Lidia, our pensionista, invited the Elders and us over a little early to decorate her house for Christmas. She has accumulated quite a few decorations from missionaries over the years. I brought my Christmas music. We sang and decorated her windowsill with all the decorations. It was simple, but it meant the world to me. I love Christmas and being with her family laughing, singing and eating Buñuellos and arroz con leche (rice with milk), which is my favorite food in Bolivia, was such a special moment.

Today, as a District we went to the lagoons again. I was glad to find that I didn’t feel like I was going to die this time; I’ve become acclimated to not having any air to breathe ;) It was a great time; we went early and did our personal studies. There is nothing like studying scriptures in the grand mountains of Potosi. When we returned we went and ate lunch at a nice tourist restaurant. The owner has been trying to get us to come for a while and he told us he would cut the price in half. There was NO rice or potatoes. Woo-Hoo! Restaurants that don’t serve rice and potatoes are usually pretty expensive. While we were eating, a lady entered and began to order. She obviously didn’t speak Spanish. The owner came over and told me she speaks English and asked if I would translate. I learned she is from Singapore as I sat and visited with her for a little bit. It was great and she was a sweet lady. Afterwards, the owner came over and thanked me. I love that the Lord has blessed me with the ability to speak Spanish.

Well, like I say every week, I LOVE MY MISSION and I love Bolivia!!! It’s hard and I’m often so tired, but I am enjoying EVERY moment!

Have a great week and enjoy this wonderful Christmas season! I love you all.


Love, Hermana Lomax :)

 Meet Ninina!





 Baptisms. :)


 Decorating for Christmas!

 The Lagoons!



No comments:

Post a Comment