Megan's Background



Monday, August 24, 2015

What A Week….Elder Bednar and Potosi!

Hello!

I hope your week was great! My week was so crazy and unexpected and it’s difficult to know where to begin. We had a conference on Saturday with ELDER BEDNAR, Elder Stevenson (Presidency of the Bishopric of the church) Elder Soares (Presidency of the Seventy) and Elder Uceda (Area President of South America). Oh my goodness, it was incredible! There is no doubting that Elder Bednar is a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, the spirit he brings is like nothing I’ve ever felt before. Elder Bednar´s wife and son were also here. It was neat because his son served here in this mission and they were able to visit some of his converts. I cannot even write how powerfully he spoke, it changed my whole mindset. I am so grateful for that experience and I will remember it forever. It was also really great because the whole mission was at the conference. President brought in all the missionaries from outside of Cochabamba; all 215 missionaries were in the same chapel. 
    
So, because all the missionaries were here in Cochabamba on Saturday and transfers were planned for Sunday, President decided to do transfers earlier to save time and money. So, we received our transfers on Tuesday night. I didn’t think I was going to be transferred, but I was wrong. I am now serving in POTOSI!  I was surprised and so excited. I packed all my stuff on Thursday and Friday and said goodbye to all of the incredible people in Villa Moscu. That is the hardest part of the whole mission...saying goodbye. I met the most amazing people in Villa Moscu many that I consider family... its the worst! And after the conference with Elder Bednar, at 4:00 in the afternoon on Saturday those of us serving outside of Cochabamba left for the long trip. I rode in a bus for 13 hours. Normally, when missionaries are transferred out they are sent on an airplane, but not this time. It was such a long ride. We arrived in Potosi, yesterday, Sunday at 7:00 in the morning. Just in time to drop my things off at our house and go to church. We worked for the whole day. This place is so pretty. ITS FREEZING! I can’t even feel my fingers as I type this letter to you. Ha-ha. I can hardly breath and my nose has been bleeding since I arrived, as my body adjusts to living in one of the highest cities in the world. The people I’ve met so far are so humble and kind. This place is exactly what you would think of when you hear about Bolivia. The streets are narrow and all the stores and houses are old, it has a cool western feel to it, with lanterns as streetlights. I am back to using my water filter and once again, there is no sink in our house. But, I can’t even tell you how excited I am to be here in Potosi, even if I freeze to death, I’ll get used to it right? That is what I keep telling myself.

My new companion has 3 months in the mission, she just finished her training. Her name is Hermana Chicaiza. She is from Quito, Ecuador. So, Madi if you have any questions write me next week. She is the sweetest! She was baptized 5 years ago, she is the only member of her family and even though she doesn’t look it, she is 29. We are going to have fun together.

I was going to send you pictures, but this computer isn’t reading my card and I don’t want to mess with it more. I don’t want to risk having my pictures erased again. I’ll get it figured out next week, I am sorry!

So, there is the update of the week. Crazy! A lot can happen in a few days in the mission. I feel so blessed! I say it every week but this is the greatest decision I have made in my life, even if I haven’t slept in 3 days.

I love you all so much and I hope you have a great week! Talk to you next week!

Con mucho amor,

Hermana Lomax 

No comments:

Post a Comment