Megan's Background



Monday, July 27, 2015

I Figured No One Would Remember Me….I Was Wrong!

Hello Everyone,

So, I don’t have much time to write, but I will try to fit everything in. It was a pretty great week. Last Monday, I went back to Huayllani for Mariana´s 11th Birthday. The sweetest thing happened on our way over. Before we went to their house we stopped at a tienda to buy her a little gift. This was a tienda I went to all the time when I was serving in Huayllani. We taught a few people there, but only a few times and it was almost 5 months ago so I figured no one would remember me.... I was wrong. A little old lady who is 88 years old named Modesta came out when she heard the ring of the bell. She looked at me for a second and then said, "I thought you forgot about me. Where have you been?" I was so surprised. She hugged me and kissed me and let us into her tienda. I explained to her that I had changed areas and was now in the city. We bought what we needed and then as we were leaving she went to her fridge and pulled out 2 fruit juices in a bag and wafers just like she used to and told us the same thing she used to say, "you need something to keep you cool out in the sun." I love this sweet lady and to make it even better, she was the very first person I met on my mission, my very first day. I remember it well….she was sitting on her porch at 8:00 at night and Hermana Alarcon told me to go over and talk to her. I will always remember her, but knowing she remembered me made my whole day. As we left she hugged me one last time and said "You better come back." How can I not?

When we got to Familia Caceres we walked in and it turned out that Cynthia´s parents were there visiting from Spain. I had talked to them many times on Skype whenever we would go over for lessons, but it was so nice to finally meet them in person. It was another interesting experience. The last time I talked to Cynthia’s mom on Skype it was the day before their baptisms. Cynthia wasn’t home, but we wanted to talk to her parents and ask them how they felt about them getting baptized. We were surprised as her mom started to cry. She did not want Cynthia to get baptized because they are strong Catholics, but she told us she would support her because that was the choice her daughter had made. As I talked to her mom in her kitchen on Monday, we enjoyed getting to know each other and she looked at me and said, "I’m thinking about getting baptized into your church." I was so caught off guard. She said she can see how happy her daughter is and all the good friends she has now. It was so crazy. Her parents are good people. We had a good rest of the day. Mariana had a little party so I got to braid her hair and see some of the ward members. She is so stinkin cute. I love Huayllani so much, even though during my time there I couldn’t speak Spanish to save my life and most of the time I was oblivious to what was going on around me. But, those people remember me and as I look back I know they have changed my life completely!

The rest of the week was pretty good, I don’t know why the work has been so slow but we are still pushing forward. We are planning a baptism for the 12th of September. We are working hard and working with many of the members. This week will only get better. I love you all so much. Good luck with school this week!


Love, Hermana Lomax
My friend Modesta.





Hermana Ordonez.

No comments:

Post a Comment