Megan's Background



Monday, March 9, 2015

Blessings of Being a Mormon Missionary!

Hello Everyone,

My heart is so full. It’s been 4 months and still at times walking around here I still can’t believe I am in Bolivia. I love this place and the people so much. I understand now what people meant when they said as a missionary you come to love and desire the Salvation of others more than anything in the world. It’s true. My hearts not big enough for all the love I have. I only wish I could have you all here to experience it with me. To have the two things I love most together would make this perfect, but emails will have to work.:)

These last two weeks have been incredible and draining. My Spanish has improved so much. I taught Gospel Principles and Relief Society last week and when I tell people I have 4 months here in Bolivia the look on their face is priceless. But, it’s by no means me. The gift of tongues is real.

On Friday, we were invited to go to seminary…. yeah you could say I was just a little excited.;) There are 7 kids and it starts at 6 AM, SO early. We woke up at 4:45 and went to the house where they have seminary. Since 3 of us are North Americans (me and the elders) we made them French Toast (it’s not as good as at home but, its FRENCH TOAST!) It was so fun and they loved it. It was totally worth waking up early for.

So, this is what I was so excited to write you about last week. A family we are teaching is getting BAPTIZED!!! The Caceres family, from Peru came here to Bolivia for 2 years, so that Zail, the husband could go to school. He is studying medicine. I cannot even begin to write how incredible this family is. About 6 months ago the missionaries before us met them, but they practically shut the door in their faces. One day almost 4 weeks ago we knocked on their door. We met Zail and set an appointment with him. Their progress has been amazing. Cyntia the wife tells us all the time that the first time they met the missionaries they were not interested at all, but this time it was different. Her testimony is really strong; the change she has made is amazing. They have 2 kids Mariana is 10 and Sebastian is 5. I love them SOOO much. Zail, Cyntia and Mariana had a date set for baptism this last Saturday, but Zail has expressed fear about how his family who are Catholic would accept his new faith. His testimony isn’t as strong as Cyntia's. It’s a whole life change, which is understandable. They had the opportunity to talk to President Hansen almost 2 weeks ago at a baptism for an older lady in the ward. Afterwards, I talked to President and he told me that Zail is so close to being ready for baptism, and we needed to give a powerful leccion* that would bring the spirit....talk about nerve-racking. I’ve never prayed harder in my life. I thought a lot about what we needed to talk about. I’ve never felt that way before in my life. After thinking for a day I thought of a scripture that Bishop shared with me as I was deciding to go on a mission in May. The scripture is in D&C 6, which talks about prayer. It says "fear not to do good my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also weep." This whole seccion* is so incredible. Before my mission I wondered if this was the right decision, the decision that Heavenly Father wanted for me and after bishop shared this scripture with me, I knew. So, on Wednesday we had the leccion*. THE SPIRIT WAS SO STRONG. It had a strong impact on him. I am so grateful that I had that experience in my own life to be able to help him. There were times before my mission I wondered why I had to go through everything I did. I always knew there was a reason and I see it everyday here, especially in this experience. Cyntia and Mariana were upset that we pushed back the date, but it’s so important they do this together. Zail bought a suit for church. Cyntia made us earrings to wear on their baptisms. She also made me a few pages for my recuerdo* (I don’t know how to explain that in English), but she put a whole bunch of pictures of us and wrote the sweetest note about how we are angels in their lives and that they are our second family. They hung our picture up on their wall and saved our Skype accounts on their computer, so when we go home and they return to Peru we can stay in touch. Again, my heart is not big enough for all this love. They are excited to one day enter the temple, and I hope I can be there with them. We are hoping for this Saturday or Sunday for baptisms, we have a leccion with them tomorrow.

Last night a family in the ward (the same sister that teaches seminary) that lives 2 houses down from family Caceres invited us, the elders, their friends that live in the city, and another family in the ward over for FHE. We watched a video about Finding Faith in Christ and ate PIZZA (again, not as good as at home but it’s PIZZA). The Brother Nefi (who speaks English and is the coolest guy ever) asked us what he could do to help this family. He shared the sweetest message about faith. It was perfect and such a good night! I have learned a lot from the members here, it is so incredible for me to see the love they have for our investigators.

Also, last night was Cambios*. I AM STAYING HERE! Thank goodness! Hermana Alarcon is being transferred to a different part of Cochabamba, she is excited. I don’t know too much about my new companion all I know is she is from Ecuador and has 4 months left on the mission. She is in Potosi right now so we will go pick her up from the airport tomorrow morning. I am excited; I’m going to miss Hermana Alarcon. But, I’m really excited to be staying here!!!!

I hope you are all doing well. I love you all and hope you are having a good first day of spring break.


Love, Hermana Lomax

*Note…It's fun to see Hermana Lomax's Spanish coming through into her letters. I've decided not to edit it out. Instead, I will provide some translation along the way.

Leccion - Lesson
Recuerdo - Memory Book/Scrapbook
Seccion - Section
Cambios - Transfer

The Signature Mission Move! 
Seminary
Doing hair to attend a baptism.



No comments:

Post a Comment