Megan's Background

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Testifying of the Savior!

Hello Everyone!

I hope you all had a great week. It feels like it’s been forever since I’ve written. It has been such a great week, full of lots of incredible experiences.

On Tuesday we had a full day of leccions, we went to visit Daniela she had her baby so we got to go and see how she is doing. While we were there we were taking pictures and I noticed that I had no memory in my camera. That couldn’t be, so I investigated a little more and realized I didn’t have my memory card. I had left it in the computer in Sacaba from the last time I wrote. To say I was freaking out would be an understatement. I have 400 pictures on that memory card. I told my companion we needed to go to Sacaba. It was 8 o'clock at night and we ran through trees and bushes in the dark. We got in a trufy (a van that drives people places that always has so many people and animals in it) and rode to Sacaba. We said a prayer that it would be there. When we got to the Internet Cafe it wasn’t in the computer. We asked the lady and she pulled my memory card and adapter out of the drawer. I was so relieved. That was a little tender mercy for the start of the week. 

On Thursday, we got to wake up at 4:30 and go to the temple. It was so INCREDIBLE and much needed. The temple here is so beautiful and now I can actually understand. It was definitely worth waking up early for. :) After we finished at the temple I went on another intercambio, this time with a girl from Utah!!! She Speaks ENGLISH! She is a sweet missionary; I learned so much from her. We talked with many people, but there was one I wanted to share with you. It was the last person we talked to. We were on our way to dinner when we saw him sitting on the side of the street reading a book. We talked to him for a bit and he told us he had talked to missionaries before. We decided to teach the Plan of Salvation. As we began to teach he started to contradict everything we were saying. He stated that he is perfectly happy in his life and he only gives credit to himself. He told us that he doesn’t need anyone or anything else in his life. As he continued Hermana Wing and I looked at each other, she put the pamphlet back in her bag. And there in an empty street, we became two missionaries in a foreign country speaking a different language than our own, with prayers in our hearts opening our mouths and testifying of a Savior, a Savior who suffered and died for us. We NEED Him in our lives. Never in my life have I felt so much love for Him and had such a strong desire to share that love than in that moment. The Spirit was so strong and the gift of tongues was definitely present. After we each finished, he had no contradiction. He thanked us for coming by to talk to him and told us that we have a great message to share with the world, but that he is content and that he needed to get back to work. We said a prayer and walked away. As we walked down the street we put our arms around each other. We all have our agency we all get to choose. That is something our Heavenly Father has to deal with and as missionaries so do we. We were happy and grateful because we chose to open our mouths and testify of our Savior. We could have just walked away, but we didn’t. I can tell you that even though he didn’t accept it, Milton a man who sells newspapers on the side of a street in Cala Cala, has heard and felt the burning testimonies of two 19 year-old Sister Missionaries. And to me that is enough. At the end of this life I will not be standing at the judgment seat for him, but for myself and I want to be able to say that I took every opportunity to boldly testify of my Savior. He has given me EVERYTHING and I need people to know how much I love Him. If that’s all I do here on my mission, it is sufficient enough for me. I am so grateful for these types of experiences. I will remember it forever.

On Saturday I was back in my area and for about a week I had been trying to figure out what we could do to get our investigators to church, because that has been the struggle. Since it was Valentine’s Day we decided to make cookies for our investigators. I woke up early and made cookie dough and icing. We studied and then afterwards we went to our pensions house and baked the cookies. I bought ribbon and made paper hearts that we wrote a scripture - Deuteronomy 6:5 about loving the Lord with all our hearts. It was SO fun! We went around and delivered them and sang the hymn I Stand All Amazed and shared a short message about the love of our Savior. It turned out so well. We had 6 investigators at Church on Sunday. We have some incredible people we are teaching right now. We are teaching 2 families and one is GOLDEN. They are the sweetest. I will send you a picture of them. Cynthia, Sebastian, Mariana, and Sebastian Jr. I LOVE this family with all my heart! Also we are teaching another girl named Daniela she is 23 and she is so fun to be with.

So, as you know Monday and Tuesday was Carnaval. We got permission to go to a ward activity on Monday, which was good because we were able to get out of our house and the 2 families we are teaching went too. It was a lot of fun. There were about 4 wards there as well as the missionaries serving in those wards. We played futbol and basketball, we ate lunch and had a huge water fight. That’s what they do for Carnaval here. People go out in the street with water guns and giant water balloons and nail each other. It was understandable why we weren’t allowed to leave. Not to mention all the drunks. Anyways by the end of the day it started raining and we were drenched. It was so cold, but lots of fun. Yesterday, we went to our pensions for lunch. That was the only time we were allowed to leave. It was like a war outside. Apparently, Tuesday is the biggest day of celebrating. We made it to lunch with only a few watermarks. But, on our way back we were walking and had to go under a bridge that passed over the street. There were people all lined up on that bridge loaded with water balloons and water guns. There was no other way home. I told Hermana Alarcon we needed to run fast under this overpass and hope their aim was really bad! :) I started sprinting as I heard and felt the splash of water balloons hitting the ground around me. I MADE IT! I looked back and Hermana Alarcon hadn’t even started running yet. She started for it and was immediately hit with a water gun, but nothing too bad. (Ha-ha) It was fun and an adrenaline rush. We got home and I studied Spanish the rest of the day. 

So, it’s been a crazy week. It was a lot of fun and I love it here! I will talk to you next Monday!

Love Hermana Lomax

P.S. So I had to share this with you. I get Brianna's letters every week that she sends her family. This was the beginning of the one she sent last week:

“This week our washer broke...yeah I was really, really sad about that because now I have to wash my clothes in the sink:( We are looking for a new one tonight so hopefully I will not have to wash all of my clothes in our sink. Its not really how I want to do things but what can you do #mishlife.”

Ha-ha-ha. I almost died. I love her!

Cochabamba Temple
President and Sister Hansen 

Our Investigators

No comments:

Post a Comment