Megan's Background



Monday, January 12, 2015

It's Monday Again!

Hello again!

I hope you all had a great week! Here are some facts about Bolivia and my time here that you might enjoy.

It rains almost everyday here and my area is all dirt roads so you can only imagine what my shoes and legs look like at the end of each day. The clouds fill the city, we can almost walk through them it is so neat. I like the rain, it doesn’t keep us from the work we still go out and walk and walk and walk and teach of course.

So…..a little about the food here in Bolivia. They put mayonnaise on and in EVERYTHING. Mom you would not do well here. I couldn’t believe it at first, but now I’m used to it. Some of the food is so strange, but there’s nothing I haven’t been able to eat it, so that’s a blessing. Although I cannot eat the tomatoes I try so hard, but I don’t think I will ever get myself to like them. Everything they drink is in bags. It’s the funniest thing. Juice, water its in a bag. My companion laughed on the first day when we bought juice. Because I didn’t know what to do.

I got a system down for brushing my teeth. First, I filter the water in my water bottle. Then, I put toothpaste on my toothbrush, pour some of the water from the bottle on my toothbrush and brush. After I suck all the remaining toothpaste as best as I can, I pour water on my toothbrush to clean it off. It’s quite a process but it works. And my clothes..... mom I will never complain again about washing clothes. I’m sure you’ll never get tired of hearing me say that (ha-ha) but we wash all our clothes by hand. I fill a big tub with water from our shower. It takes forever because our water pressure is really low. I put my clothes and some laundry detergent in the tub and scrub each piece with this little brush. We take our clothes down the stairs, outside to rinse them with the hose and then hang them on the clothesline to dry. But, its a little difficult because it always raining. Who knew I would miss the washer and dryer so much.

On P-day we play a lot of futbol or soccer with our zone. I’m horrible, but its fun. Then we normally clean and shop for things in Sacaba and of course email!!!

For the mission, in order for someone to be baptized they have to attend church 3 times, receive all the lessons in PMG, and pray. My companion and I expressed to the Bishop during Ward Council that while we are here to baptize we also want to convert and change people for the rest of their lives. Baptism is important and a big commitment and promise. I want to help the ward members understand their role in helping converts feel accepted and welcome. So….I made a list of activities we could do in the ward, some that we have done in Vail Ward like a ward movie night, something similar to a pinewood derby, and a few other ideas. I want to help them see how ward activities can be huge in fellowshipping new members. I know that the work is moving forward here and that I can do something to help. I love this area and the people. Seriously they are so sweet and kind!

Lastly, we had a girl get baptized on Saturday. Her name is Maria. The Elders in our ward taught her. She is So CUTE! She is 14 and she lives next to the family that feeds us, she comes over and helps cook and clean. She is quiet and her family is not very supportive of her. I have never heard her talk about them. The baptism was SO great, she asked me to speak about the Holy Ghost and she loves the gospel and LOVES YW’s. I cant blame her. She is so excited about Personal Progress. I have been helping her with it a little bit. She has 6 people in her family and none came to her baptism, but she knows this gospel will help her in her life and make her happy. I don’t know if this is possible but could you get the YW together and take a picture with a poster that says “Beinvenida a Mujeres Jovenes!” (Welcome to Young Women’s!). She would think it was so neat that YW half-way around the world are thinking of her and welcoming her into the church and into YW’s specifically. 

I love you all so much. Have a great week!


Hermana Lomax

No comments:

Post a Comment