Megan's Background



Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Proselyting in Colombia

Hello again!

These are the best days when we get to write. We sit and wait at the computers until the exact time. Talk about obedience, I have exactly one hour!
     
The days go so fast I can’t even keep them straight. It’s hard to believe it is Wednesday. Saturday we got to leave the fence and go proselyting. It was so AWESOME and a little nerve racking. We had some pretty cool experiences.

They dropped us off in the middle of the city and just let us go. We had 2 ½ hours to walk around and talk to people. The first lady we talked to was so nice, we talked for about 15 minutes. Just as we began to walk away she reached into her market bag and brought out 3 warm little loaves of bread for us. SO SWEET! Another special experience we had happened when we were walking around the park and met a man named Henry. We gave him a Book of Mormon and talked with him about prayer. We went and sat with him on a bench in the park because he wanted to know more. We prayed together right there in the park, it was so incredible. The last experience I want to share with you all, was meeting a man, his 14-year-old son and his 8-year-old daughter Gabriella. They were the nicest people. We gave them a Book of Mormon and invited them to church. I was able to speak with Gabriella for a while. We talked about Christmas, school and she even drew me a heart in my planner. It made my whole day. She definitely spoke much better Spanish then I do and was probably laughing at me, but she was very sweet. I am so grateful for that experience. Here in Colombia they do not have North American Sisters serving, so it was neat as a sister from North America to go out and teach the Colombian people. When we returned back to the MTC they wanted to know how many contacts we made, most elders made 6 or 7 and we made 14. The people here love North American Sisters; it’s strange to constantly be stared at. It helps with trying to find people to talk to; in fact they often come talk to us (ha-ha). I feel the trust of the Lord for the opportunity to serve a little while here in Colombia, even though I know I need to practice my Spanish a lot more (ha-ha).
         
So, a little about the MTC here in Colombia and what I do on a daily basis. I wake up at 6:00 each morning, I feel better if I get a little extra time in the morning. I get myself ready for the day and wait for my companions to finish getting ready. At 7:00 we go down to the chapel and spend an hour studying scripture. Then we eat breakfast and go straight to class in our districts for about 6 hours. We eat lunch and have rice with EVERY meal. (Mom when I come home promise me we will NOT eat rice for at least a year). And it’s a running joke here about the mystery meat (ha-ha). We spent one day deciding if the meat was fish or chicken. I know what you’re thinking, how can you not tell the difference between the two, but I’m telling you that here you cannot. ;) After lunch we teach our investigators. We practice our lessons everyday. I am so good at teaching the Law of Chastity in Spanish (ha-ha). I am grateful for the teachers here in the MTC, they help us so much. After we practice what we are learning, we go to the gym and play some pretty competitive volleyball. It’s pretty great! We eat dinner, have a devotional and learn fundamentals of the gospel. It seems like a long day, but it goes by fast. By 10:30 when the lights go out I am so exhausted.

I cannot believe I only have 2 more weeks here. I was just assigned my Latino companion, Hermana Franco from Santa Cruz, Bolivia about an hour ago. She is so sweet; it’s going to be fun learning from her.
         
Yesterday was P-day. We were able to go on a tour of Colombia. The mountains here are insane. They are so big and the trees are giants, it is so pretty. We’re just going into summer, so it’s pretty warm. They have this weird misty rain here that I love. 
           
I hope you are all doing wonderful and enjoying the Christmas season. We listen to Christmas music everyday and we helped decorate the MTC. We have 5 Christmas trees and put lights outside. I’m looking forward to this special time of year.

Have a fabulous week! Love you all!

LOVE,

Hermana Lomax




At the Bogota, Colombia Temple
Book of Mormon

No comments:

Post a Comment