Megan's Background



Monday, December 29, 2014

Christmas in Bolivia

Hello Everyone,

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas! It’s hard to believe it came and went so quickly. I had a great Christmas here in Bolivia, one that I will never forget. We mainly celebrated on the 24th of December. Since you all celebrated early it was only fitting that I did too. In the morning of the 24th we went to a nearby orphanage. We took Christmas treats, played with the kids at the park, and ate lunch with them. It was difficult to see so many CUTE kids living in an orphanage, but so fun to spend the day laughing with them. Some of the Elders brought Sour Patch Kids for the children and to see their faces as they ate them for the first time was priceless! I’ve decided that after my mission I am coming back to adopt them all. :)

After the orphanage I was able to Skype home!!!!! I had to find an Internet Café to Skype, but it didn’t matter. IT WAS SO GOOD TO SEE YOU ALL!!!! To talk to you, I love you all SO, SO, SO much and I am happy you had a good Christmas and are doing well. That’s all that matters to me. I don’t know if I expressed enough over Skype how grateful I am for the package you sent me. THANK YOU! My companion was so happy about her stocking and candy you should have seen her face when she was telling her mom and brother about it. I want you to know you made her day.

After we were able to Skype we went to dinner at the Gonzales’. She made a HUGE dinner. I have never seen so much food in my life. We all sat together in their living room on the cement floor and sang Christmas hymns while one of the elders played the guitar. It was simple and humble. I now understand why Christ was born in a stable, in the humblest of ways. The spirit was something I have never experienced before.
     
On Christmas morning we woke up a little early, sat under our paper Christmas tree in our pajamas and opened each other’s gifts and a few others. Hermana Alarcon gave me a Christmas mug perfect for the hot chocolate you sent me. A little later we went to the church building and made breakfast with the other missionaries in our zone. After breakfast we spent the day visiting as many investigators, less actives and members as we could, sharing a Christmas message. We gave out the goody bags you made for the kids. Baylie they LOVED your bracelets! Thank you. I told them that my sister made it just for them.
       
That has been the best part, seeing everyone’s faces as they received gifts, ate Sour Patch Kids, sang Christmas songs…..way out of tune.:) Nothing could have been better. For once Christmas wasn’t about me or about what I wanted. The only thing I cared about was experiencing the joy and happiness of others. It was so good to take the time to look and watch those around me. So, that was my Christmas here in Bolivia. SIMPLY incredible! Thank you everyone for your messages and prayers I love you all and am so grateful to be here serving the Lord! Have a Happy New year!


Love, Hermana Lomax








No comments:

Post a Comment