Megan's Background



Thursday, November 13, 2014

Life in the CCM


Hello everyone!

I have looked forward to this day to write home, I’ve been counting down all day. The days are long but the week has gone by fast. I cannot believe I’ve already been here for 9 days! This place is incredible! I have so many things to share with you.

There are 85 missionaries here in the Colombian MTC. About 60% are Latinos from Colombia, Venezuela, Spain, Ecuador, Mexico, Argentina, and there are two sisters from Bolivia! Woot Woot! There are 21 sisters here and 4 of us are from North America. We are quite the minority. It’s the BEST! I’m forced to speak Spanish all the time because the Latinos only speak Spanish or very little English. They are the sweetest people ever! We have such a great time together. My companion is Hermana King the one I met before I left. I LOVE her and we have so much fun. We also teach bomb lessons. We just finished teaching a lesson ALL in Spanish! It went so well!!! Our days are so busy. We spend most of our days in class, but we have so many AWESOME devotionals. Presidente Dyer is the neatest guy and so smart. He knows everything about the scriptures and has such amazing insight. For most of the devotionals we have translators, so we can understand most of it! On Friday we had a devotional broadcast by Elder Holland it was so incredible and gave me new insight. If you know me you know I’m a sucker for Elder Holland talks. Here are a few notes I took:
  • You have an investment in every investigator you have.
  • You cannot say I hope they come to church or I hope they pray. NO, BE
    THE HOPE. Do what you must to make sure they come to church, to
    make sure they pray. You shouldn’t have to hope, but know.
  • In your whole life you have never done anything more right.
  • Don’t EVER, EVER walk away from this.
  • I cannot promise you 1000 investigators, 100, or even 10 but, I can
    promise you 1. YOU!
  • The hardest part is not now in the MTC. You may feel it is as you try to
    learn a language (oh yeah) or come to follow the disciple of the MTC. The hard part is when you get rejected by those you love. Why is this work so hard? Why can’t it be easy when it’s the truth?
  • I believe this work is not easy because every part of the Savior’s work was NEVER easy. We have no scriptures that say the Savior laughed, I’m sure He did but we have no record of it. However, we do have countless records of the tears he shed, the hardships he faced.
  • You need to prepare for those same feelings, same tears and emotions because you are a disciple of Christ!
  • Salvation was never an easy experience. It is going to take everything you have. It’s going to give you everything and make you everything!

    ISN’T THAT AWESOME!!!
On that same day we were able to go to the Bogota Colombia Temple! Oh my goodness! It is so beautiful and an incredible experience. I even got headphones so I could listen in English. We’ll have the opportunity to go every week and will go again on Tuesday!

I’m contemplating not sharing this for mom’s sake, but I have to. I got to ride in the car with President and Sister Dyer to the Temple because there was no room in our bus. The driving here is INSANE! I now know why their cars here are so small. They squeeze wherever they fit and they don’t have lanes. People walk through the traffic to sell things through car windows. Drivers are constantly honking. All nightlong!

We play volleyball everyday. It’s pretty intense and the fastest hour of the day. It’s a nice break from all the studying. The food here is definitely South American food. We eat rice with every meal but they feed us well. We had ribs and chicken today and fish yesterday! And Peyton if we thought American milk was gross; you should try Colombian milk... But don’t worry I drink it ALL!

On Monday, Elder David Evans a member of the First Quorum of the 70 came and spoke to us, that was a cool experience. He gave a great talk about the importance of missionary work.

Yesterday my Mission President and his wife came to the MTC. They had training here in Colombia and stopped by. That was so cool. They are the sweetest people and are very excited for us to come in December. She hugged and shared with us a little about the mission. That was probably the neatest thing of the week! 

I can pray, bear testimony and teach a few lessons pretty well in Spanish. I have learned SO, SO, SO much and am so grateful to be here. It’s hard at times, but I just ponder on what Elder Holland said. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else, even though I miss you all. Thank you for your love and prayers. I am BEYOND grateful for them!

LOVE YOU, 
Hermana Lomax :) 

In this letter Sister Lomax writes about several things we believe as Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. To find out more click on the links below:
Salvation
Temples
First Presidency

1 comment:

  1. Go Megan Go! We are so proud of her and excited to see her grow. She is so full of faith and enthusiasm. We pray for her and all our missionaries every day. They are wonderful examples.

    ReplyDelete